Chile Relleno Casserole
Chile Relleno Casserole has layers of chilies, eggs, cheese, and a light layer of tomato sauce. This Mexican dish can be breakfast or dinner.
- 2 7 ounce cans whole green chiles, drained and quartered
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese divided, (2 cups)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese divided, (2 cups)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- optional chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer half of the green chiles in the pan. I prefer to cut each chili into fourths or you can leave them whole.
- Sprinkle half of the Monterey Jack cheese and half of the cheddar cheese on top. Top with remaining chiles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Pour over chili mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Spread tomato sauce on top and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and turn oven to broil. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired and serve.