One-Pot Bacon Broccoli Pasta
I’ve found there are two types of people in this world. Those who like their bacon so well done it’s on the border of being burnt and those who like it walked through a warm room.I remember the first time I made breakfast for my in-laws I burnt the bacon and I was horrified. They, on the other hand, were fighting over the burnt pieces.I definitely don’t like my bacon burnt but I do appreciate it cooked all the way through.My problem with most pastas with bacon is that they let the bacon cook in the sauce. While that does give that bacon flavor all throughout it basically is boiled bacon which…ew…yuck.The key to making this One-Pot Bacon Broccoli Pasta successfully is that we cook the bacon, drain it, then cook the rest of the dish in the same pan. So we get a little of that bacon flavor without soggy bacon.I came up with this pasta for my family. I made it a thousand different ways until we decided this was the best version. One-pot meals will always have my heart.
- 4 strips of bacon cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups dry rigatoni pasta (or other small shape like penne)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (and pepper to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (more for sprinkling on top)
- In a large saucepan, pot or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Drain fat from the pot leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pot.
- Add the garlic and sautee for about 30 seconds. Add the uncooked pasta, cream, chicken broth, salt (and pepper), and crushed red pepper. Stir. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 6 minutes making sure to stir once in a while and keep noodles covered in liquid.
- Add the broccoli to the pot and cook another 5-7 minutes or until the broccoli is soft. Continue cooking until sauce is a little thicker. It will be thin and then thicken towards the end. Stir in the Parmesan and reserved bacon.
- Serve immediately and top with additional Parmesan.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings
Healthy meal for the heart