Living a healthier lifestyle doesn’t have to be difficult. Developing healthy habits is easier than you think and you don’t have to make drastic changes to your routine. Here are some simple tips to help you lead a healthier lifestyle:
- Increase your intake of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Limit unhealthy foods such as saturated fats and sugary snacks.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Eat breakfast every day to get your metabolism going.
- Make time for physical activity every day.
- Find activities that you enjoy and that fit into your lifestyle.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk or bike to work or to run errands.
- Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep every night.
- Create a consistent bedtime routine to help you relax before bed.
- Avoid caffeine and electronics close to bedtime.
- Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Take time for yourself every day to relax and unwind.
- Set aside time to do activities that you enjoy.
- Learn healthy ways to cope with stress such as yoga or meditation.
- Make time to socialize with friends and family.
Making a few small changes in your life can help you lead a healthier lifestyle. Even simple changes such as walking instead of driving and standing instead of sitting can make a big difference in your health.
What foods should I avoid to lead a healthier lifestyle?
1. Processed and packaged snacks (chips, cookies, candy, etc.)
2. Fried and fast foods (French fries, chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, etc.)
3. Sugary drinks (sodas, juice, energy drinks, etc.)
4. Red and processed meats (hot dogs, bacon, ham, sausage, etc.)
5. Refined grains (white bread, white pasta, white rice, etc.)
6. Trans fats (non-dairy creamer, margarine, fried foods, etc.)
7. Added sugar (sugar-sweetened beverages, cereal, etc.)
8. Highly-processed foods (microwave meals, packaged snacks, etc.)
9. Alcohol (more than 1-2 drinks/day)