ONE-PAN CHICKEN FAJITA PASTA
This pasta is Italian meets Mexican in a creamy one-pan dinner. I have a love for one-pan dishes.
I recently finished my second cookbook and took a one day break from cooking and was back at it. I felt like my cookbook was bootcamp and now I can just pump out pushups, or in this case recipes, with ease.
I still have so many ideas. Although I said this my last cookbook, who knows what the future holds.
You can use one color of bell pepper for the whole dish but I love a variety of colors for the eye.
You can use any short pasta in this recipe like farfalle, penne, rigatoni, macaroni,…the list goes on.
OTHER FAJITA RECIPES:
OTHER ONE-PAN DINNERS:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced bell peppers (red, orange, green, or yellow)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces short pasta
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional Topping: sour cream, guacamole, chopped cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and season the chicken breast pieces with about 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Cook chicken 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the onion and bell peppers. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon of cumin. Cook veggies over medium-high heat until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside with the chicken.
- Add the chicken broth, salsa, and cream to the pan. Add the pasta and cook covered for 15-20 minutes until pasta is done, stirring every so often, replacing the lid quickly so the heat doesn’t escape.
- When pasta is done, stir in the lime juice and add the chicken and veggies back to the pan heating until warmed through.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and top with desired toppings.