SLOW COOKER MISSISSIPPI POT ROAST RECIPE
This is a recipe that has been around forever but is definitely one you need in the regular rotation. It’s a delicious dinner for a busy night of the week and a great switch up to traditional pot roast. A perfect slow cooking Sunday supper idea.
A Mississippi roast has a few simple ingredients with so much flavor.
- BEEF CHUCK ROAST – A chuck roast makes for the best roast in my opinion. It’s the best cut of meat because it’s tender and shreds well. A pork butt or rump roast would work as well.
- PACKET OF AU JUS GRAVY MIX – An au jus mix makes the best gravy! Some recipes use an onion soup mix or brown gravy mix but an au jus seasoning packet is my favorite version.
- RANCH MIX – A package of ranch dressing mix adds flavor.
- STICK OF BUTTER – We add this on top of the roast and it melts into the roast and makes it so good. You can definitely use less if you want.
- PEPPERONCINIS – These add some kick to the meat. Add less if you don’t want it that spicy. Even throw in some of the pepperoncini juice to bring up the heat.
This can be eaten many ways. You can serve this over:
- egg noodles
- cooked noodles
- mashed potatoes
- cooked rice
- on rolls with Provolone
IS THIS SPICY?
Really you can adjust it to your own tastes. You can use less pepperoncini and juice to make it more mild.
ARE BANANA PEPPPERS AND PEPPERONCINI THE SAME?
No. They are slightly different in taste and color. Banana peppers tend to be slightly sweeter and more yellow in color. The difference is very small though and they can be substituted. They can be found next to each other at the grocery store.
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS?
Yes, you can store leftovers in an airtight container like a ziploc freezer bag and freeze up to 3 months.
OTHER SLOW COOKER RECIPES
Yield: 6 servings
Mississippi Pot Roast is the easiest and yummiest pot roast dinner you can make by dumping just a few ingredients in the slow cooker.
beef chuck roast
au jus gravy mix
ranch dressing mix
juice from pepperoncini pepper jar
In a 6-8 quart slow cooker, add the roast. Sprinkle the aus jus, the ranch, butter, and sprinkle with pepperoncini and juice.
Cook for 6-8 hours or low or 4-6 hours on high. It is done when it falls apart. Shred with two forks and return to juice. Serve on cooked noodles, rice, mashed potatoes, or rolls with Provolone cheese.