This Breakfast Casserole is an easy tried and true recipe from Martha made with simple ingredients like eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, and cheese. Potatoes and sausage make this a hearty breakfast casserole. Use a hot sausage for a little kick. This easy recipe for egg casserole is a great freezer meal. We like to make this for Christmas breakfast the night before so it’s all ready the next morning.
This Breakfast Casserole comes from Martha, not Martha Stewart although she’s pretty darn close. Martha has been a second mom to my husband growing up.
He loves her and her cooking so when I was searching for the perfect breakfast casserole recipe he said he wanted one just like Martha’s.
- HASHBROWNS – any shredded potato hash browns will work here.
- BREAKFAST SAUSAGE – I like Jimmy Dean sausage. You can also sub crispy bacon, ham, or turkey sausage.
- COTTAGE CHEESE
- DRIED ONION
- LARGE EGGS – this casserole is loaded with one dozen eggs. I wouldn’t recommend egg whites.
- GREEN CHILES
- CHEDDAR CHEESE – a medium or sharp cheddar give this sausage breakfast casserole a kick. Really all kinds of cheese are good in this.
- ADD INS – green or red bell peppers, mushrooms. hot sauce, green onions. This is easily adapted to anything you like.
- TOPPINGS – top with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole.
So we tracked down her recipe. We’ve tried many other breakfast casseroles and we always come back to this recipe. We eat this every Christmas morning along with these cinnamon rolls.
HOW TO MAKE HASHBROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine everything but the eggs in a large bowl and pour egg mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 uncovered for 60-70 minutes until set and slightly brown on top. Cover with aluminum foil if getting too brown. It can be refrigerated overnight before cooking in the morning.
OVERNIGHT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be made the night before and baked in the morning for those busy mornings or a weekend breakfast.
This can also be made ahead and frozen (raw) and brought out for guests. When frozen cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 1st hour covered, 2nd hour uncovered.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES:
- WP Recipe Maker #17026remove Martha’s Breakfast Casserole This Breakfast Casserole is an easy tried and true recipe from Martha with eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, and cheese. Potatoes and sausage make this a hearty breakfast. Use a hot sausage for a little kick. This is a great freezer meal. Course: Breakfast Cuisine: American Keyword: breakfast casserole, hashbrown casserole, make ahead breakfast caserole Prep Time: 10m Cook Time: 60m Total Time: 70m Yield: 16 servings Author: <a href=”https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/about-me/” target=”_blank”>Christy Denney</a> – 1 (30 ounce) bag of shredded hashbrowns, thawed – 1 lb cooked sausage, bacon, or cubed ham (pick you favorite, we like sausage) – 1 (16 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese – 12 large eggs – 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese – 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles – 1 tablespoon dried onion (or 1 teaspoon onion powder) 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine everything but the eggs in a large bowl and pour mixture into a greased 9×13 pan. 2) Bake at 350 uncovered for 60-70 minutes until set and slightly brown on top. It can be refrigerated overnight before cooking in the morning. Serve with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole. 3) *This can also be made ahead and frozen (raw) and brought out for guests. When frozen cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 1st hour covered 2nd hour uncovered. 4) Store leftover casserole in an airtight container in the fridge.