The best chicken nachos in my opinion have lots and lots of cheese which is why these nachos have a combo of cheese sauce and a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Every chip has an even layer of cheese and toppings. No sad naked chips at the bottom.
I know I might get some polarizing opinions but we really enjoy the Cheesecake Factory’s chicken nachos and so these were modeled after them. These are fairly simple but you can add whatever you like. The most important thing is the cheese sauce.
- ROTISSERIE CHICKEN – Any shredded chicken will do but a rotisserie chicken is so easy. Leftover chicken is great in this.
- TORTILLA CHIPS – My favorite store bought chips are Juanita’s or Santitas. Just use your favorite bag of chips or homemade tortilla chips are even better.
- CHEESE SAUCE – shredded cheese just doesn’t melt enough for me. I want a gooey melted cheese sauce. I like to use a medium cheddar but you could use sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese or a Mexican blend cheese.
- GREEN ONIONS – You could use diced red onion here as well.
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, jalapenos, black beans, refried beans, fresh cilantro, black olives, taco sauce or hot sauce.
OTHER MEXICAN RECIPES
Yield: 8 servings
This Chicken Nachos recipe is made in minutes on a sheet pan and has all of your favorite toppings. These loaded nachos are great shareable appetizer for game day.
rotisserie chicken, shredded
half and half
can sub half milk and half cream
freshly grated medium cheddar cheese
- optional 1 teaspoon hot sauce (more to taste)
shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a medium bowl, stir the chicken and 1/2 cup salsa together. Set aside.
For the cheese sauce: In a small pot, add the half and half and cornstarch. Whisk together then bring to a medium-high heat. Once hot, reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese and hot sauce if desired. Add salt to taste.
Quickly layer half of the chips and half of the chicken on top in an even single layer. Drizzle half of the cheese sauce on top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Repeat layers.
Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
Remove from the oven and top immediately with your desired toppings like sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, jalapenos, black beans, refried beans, fresh cilantro, black olives, taco sauce or hot sauce. Personally I just like sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, and a drizzle of taco sauce.